Employee performance reviews are important for both companies and staff. They provide an opportunity for managers to provide constructive feedback to employees.This feedback shows employees how their work contributes to company objectives and helps them to grow and develop professionally.
Performance reviews also allow companies to set clear performance expectations and recognize employee achievements to reinforce a culture of appreciation.
Looking to improve your company’s performance review processes? Consider trying out performance review software. Check out this curated list of the best employee performance review software options available to teams in 2023.
What Should You Look for in Performance Review Software?
When searching for the right performance review software, you should think about factors like:
- User-friendliness: You want a platform that both managers and employees can easily navigate
- Customization options: Look for performance review software that you can tailor to your organization’s unique performance metrics and goals
- Integration capabilities: Find software that seamlessly integrates with other tools your organization uses, such as project management or HR systems, to eliminate the need for manual data transfer
- Robust reporting and analytics features: Harvest data-driven insights that reveal trends, strengths, and areas for improvement within your workforce
The 10 Best Performance Review Software to Use in 2023
ClickUp is a unique solution because it’s incredibly versatile. It’s not employee performance review software specifically, but it’s powerful and versatile enough to be used as performance review software by human resources (HR) professionals in companies of any size and type.
ClickUp can be used as powerful HR software that helps you conduct, analyze, and implement better employee performance reviews. Many companies use ClickUp for as a performance management software, in fact, this performance review template is one of the most downloaded templates within the platform.
ClickUp offers many free performance review templates, making it easy to get started with setting up performance review processes and customizing them to fit your team’s needs.
ClickUp best features
- ClickUp Goalsallow employees to connect with their work and employers to track their progress. You can set timelines and targets and automate progress tracking. Create folders to track your team and individual goals in one place. ClickUp also integrates well with a wide array of goal setting software
- Org chart templates help you visualize your entire team structure. Always know who your team leads are and what team members are responsible for what tasks and projects. When responsibility and hierarchy are clear in team management, it’s easier to design relevant and meaningful performance reviews
- Employee monitoring tools provide you not just with time tracking, but also detailed productivity reports. Managers receive real-time performance data and actionable insights (check out our guide on the best employee monitoring tools for Mac users!)
- Employee engagement tools and templates encourage responsibility and recognize and reward employee achievements. ClickUp offers dozens of 1-on-1 meeting templates, HR-related templates, engagement surveys, action plans, and more to keep your employees in the loop and engaged.
- The many features and deep versatility provided by the platform can lead to a bit of a learning curve
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $7/month per user
- Business: $12/month per user
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing
ClickUp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (8,000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3,500+ reviews)
PerformYard is a popular employee performance tool that allows companies to create and administer performance reviews. It also offers goal management, regular feedback, and conduct engagement surveys.
The software focuses on performance review but offers additional features geared toward improving employee engagement. It’s a flexible and simple-to-use platform for HR professionals.
PerformYard best features
- Easy to establish hierarchy and assign reviewers
- Powerful and versatile goal-setting module
- Modern user interface
- Easily customizable
- Could offer better integrations with more popular team management and HR tools
- Contact for pricing quote
PerformYard ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (660+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (90 reviews)
A great fit for smaller teams and remote teams, Connecteam does address performance management, but its main focus is employee engagement.
It’s a mobile-first application that helps teams improve their communication, make processes more efficient, and save time.
Connecteam best features
- Efficient and affordable performance review software
- Team communication and training materials are plentiful and easy to find
- Customer service is very responsive
- The scheduling module of the app is a bit difficult to use and integrate with other popular calendar apps compared to other performance review software
- Basic: $29/month per user
- Advanced: $49/month per user
- Expert: $99/month per user
Connecteam ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (39 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (290 reviews)
BambooHR is one of the best-known and expansive HR systems used by small and medium-sized businesses for hiring, performance reviews, and so much more. It has performance management features but also includes important HR functions like integrated payroll, applicant tracking, onboarding tools, vacation tracking, and more.
It’s one of the most popular tools for companies that want to equip their HR teams with an all-in-one HR solution.
BambooHR best features
- Great time tracking and vacation tracking features
- Powerful and customizable employee onboarding modules
- Easy-to-create organizational charts
- Employee performance features including a performance review process
- Since the platform is very much an all-in-one HR solution, there isn’t a lot of focus on performance review features, even though they do exist.
- Contact for pricing
BambooHR ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.5/5 1,440+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (2,500+ reviews)
Eloomi is a learning management and learning experience platform that also serves as a performance management system. Although it is primarily designed for employee training and skills development, it can also serve as performance review software.
It helps managers create automated development journeys and optimizes 1-1s by suggesting talking points and action items. This makes it a great employee performance review process solution.
Eloomi best features
- Robust and very intuitive
- 360 feedback
- Skills gap analysis and recommended courses
- Advanced people and data analytics
- Fairly limited integration options compared to other employee performance management software
- Some users report problems with custom workflows
- Contact for pricing
Eloomi ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (31 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (90 reviews)
6. Culture Amp
Culture Amp is a fresh, robust employee experience platform with a culture-first approach. With features like turnover prediction, ready-made surveys, employee engagement, and powerful analytics, it allows employers to build a deep and substantial understanding of their employees.
Better 1-1s, goal tracking, and multi-source feedback features are also available. Thanks to excellent goal-tracking features, performance management is made simple, easy, and seamless across all teams.
Culture Amp best features
- Self-reflections and peer feedback for enhanced performance reviews
- Automatic syncing with HR software and systems of record (BambooHR, Workday, Personio, Namely, etc.)
- Rich survey template library for employee engagement or to track employee performance
Culture Amp limitations
- Somewhat steep learning curve compared to other performance management software in this list
- Not enough compatibility and customization options
- No free trial
Culture Amp pricing
- Contact for pricing
Culture Amp ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (576 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (74 reviews)
Workhuman is a human capital management company with 20+ years of experience in the field. Their solutions are based around social recognition solutions, empowering employees to review and reward each other to help create a stronger culture and improve retention.
Their performance review features are cross-cultural and therefore scalable, with options for 30-plus different languages.
Workhuman best features
- AI-powered social analytics solution in the performance management system
- Integrates with popular business tools like Microsoft Teams, Slack, Yammer
- Open API allows for seamless integration with multiple systems
- No HR or payroll software integrations
- Expensive for small companies
- Contact for pricing
Workhuman ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.3/5 (68 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.2/5 (4 reviews)
Cornerstone is a skills-first platform for empowering new ways of work. This performance management tool includes performance management, learning management, recruiting, onboarding, employee development, and more.
As an employee performance review software, Cornerstone comes with highly configurable features and is a great solution for frequent conversations, surveys, and reviews. The review process can be automated and integrated with goals and competency assessments.
Employers can easily identify skill gaps using 180- and 360-degree feedback and self-assessments. Succession management tools are also available.
Cornerstone best features
- Intuitive admin interface
- Convenient checklists
- Pulse engagement surveys
- Onboarding is complex
- Some reviewers complain about customer support
- Contact for pricing
Cornerstone ratings and reviews
- G2: 3.9/5 (115 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.1/5 (35 reviews)
ClearCompany is a full-service HR solution with robust performance review tools. It is designed to automate, improve and streamline the review process by conducting better reviews, simplifying the review cycle, enhancing employee development, and gaining better feedback.
ClearCompany comes with review templates that shift the focus from ranking and conservative evaluation toward employee growth and potential. The review cycle workflows, formats and scales are easily customized, and pre-made templates make the process faster and more efficient.
ClearCompany best features
- Templates for all standard review formats
- Mobile-friendly and multilingual performance review software
- Excellent goal-planning tools
- Pre-built reports
- Reporting is limited and requires some cleanup work
- Slow customer support
- Somewhat slow integration and onboarding
Contact ClearCompany for a pricing quote
ClearCompany ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.6/5 (286 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (311 reviews)
Lattice is a robust people success platform that helps employers run performance reviews, set goals, and conduct surveys. Its features allow all involved parties to create and participate in all standard review formats, with fast and seamless cycles from project-based to 360-degree reviews.
This performance review software helps speed up the process by highlighting context from updates and peer feedback and also allows for adjustments mid-cycle.
Lattice best features
- Automatic rules, inline notes and tags, and read-made templates
- Seamless integration with 20+ HR and productivity tools
- Transparent pricing
- One of the best performance management software options for growing enterprises and HR teams
- Complex navigation and UX that could use improvement
- Performance Management + OKRs & Goals: $11/month per user
- Engagement: +$4/month per user
- Grow: +$4/month per user
- Compensation: +$6/month per user
Lattice ratings and reviews
- G2: 4.7/5 (3,701+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.5/5 (108 reviews)
Find the Best Performance Management Platform for Your Team
Every company has a unique performance review process. That’s why it’s so important to find software that best suits the needs of your team. The best performance management software automates your most important tasks to save time and effort for both employees and employers.
ClickUp is one of the most highly-recommended performance management solutions on the market. It allows you to automate employee development processes, employee performance evaluations, and make sure that your employee review process is running seamlessly at all times.
If you’re still looking for the right performance management tool and talent management solution for your business, give ClickUp a try. It’s completely free, easy to automate, and comes with dozens of ready-made templates for enhancing your performance management process.
Sign up for a free ClickUp account today if you’re looking to evaluate employee performance with easy and full transparency.
Explore article topics